Monday, December 24, 2012

Happy 90th Birthday, Mom!


Today would have been my mother's 90th birthday. It is amazing to me that she left this world over 26 years ago. 

This picture is one that I have had for some time, but not sure when it was taken. The print I have was made in 1973.




Every year on her birthday we always made sure she received a birthday present as well as Christmas presents. One year she made the remark that she received more birthday presents after she was an adult than when she was a kid. 

The most memorable year is the year when all the 'kids' (my brothers, sisters, sister-in-laws, and brother-in-laws) pooled their resources and abilities and put in a drop ceiling for her in the house. It was the 'girls' job to get her out of the house the weekend before Christmas while the 'boys' did the work. You have to remember that this was way before cell phones, so somebody had to have lots of coins for pay phones to check on when we could bring her home. I remember that she was ready to go home, but the 'boys' weren't quite ready for her yet. I can't remember the ploy the 'girls' played to keep her away, but I do remember when we got home. All of us 'girls' immediately looked up to see the job the 'boys' had done, but mom just kept saying, 'Something is different.', 'What's different?', 'What did you guys do?' It took her quite some time and we had to tell her to 'look up' before she noticed. I think that was one of the best Christmas' that she had.

Another time I remember is when my sister, Lissa and I went to moms alone and gave her the birthday presents we got for her. Nothing extra special that day, just time spent with the 3 of us.

So, to continue the tradition, I just wanted to say, 'Happy Birthday, Mom!' 

Happy Quilting, Sharon 
"Quilting the Kaye Wood Way" 
Certified Instructor since 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment