Sunday, August 28, 2011

Happy August!

Here it is almost the end of August 2011. I have been sitting here the past hour or so trying to get my photos downloaded. If it isn't one thing it is another. I am trying to keep things sorted on my SD card for the Temple pictures and also trying to sort and label the pictures that are in my computer already. What a task I have started for myself! On to the fun stuff!

Last weekend we went to Kanab, UT for the Western Legends Round-UP. We met a few new stars and got their autographs. That also reminds me that I need to find the October western Festival information that goes on down here in the valley for one of the actors we met.
Well, Carl got signatures from Ruta Lee, James Stacy, James Hampton, Paul Peterson and Cathy Garver this year. I took pictures of all of them at the booths they were in, but didn't realize until later that I had my camera on video instead of pictures. So I will need to get them downloaded and try and capture a couple stills. What a cool bunch of  actors! Ruta Lee knows how to smooze! We went to 'Breakfast with the Stars' (as usual) and she was out talking with everybody and just having a grand old time! All were friendly and talkative.


Here is Carl with his outfit. Ruta told him that he looked 'comfortable' as a cowboy......

This was after breakfast. We were standing outside just 'chatting' with the stars. James Stacy, Ruta Lee and Paul Peterson

James Stacy played in, 'Something Wicked This Way Comes', Carl's favorite movie with James. James had an acting career then had a motorcycle accident. He lost his lower left arm and leg because of the accident and still went on to play in the above movie. 

Then we went to a Pow-Wow at the reservation near Fredonia. What beautiful Regalia! The feather and bead work was amazing! We had to get permission or as they requested a 'blessing' to take and post pictures of the individuals. I took several, but will only post a few with the participants 'blessings'.

These two warriors had fantastic Regalia and you could tell they spent a lot of time and thought making them. This was a music and dance competition. I couldn't tell much difference with the music as it had the same beat and was mostly drums, but each dance was unique.

This outfit caught my eye right off. For 2 reasons. First because of the color and second because of the dance itself. How this man was able to keep dancing around and around and not loose track of his feet was amazing!


Here is great picture of the back. They stopped and were waiting for the next drummers to start.


Here is the same man with his niece. They were both out dancing together. 


Here is another that caught my eye. When I first noticed this man he was sitting right in front of me and I could not miss it. Look at all the feathers and ribbons!



Here he is dancing. 


Here is a little girl. Very simple outfit with bells and beads. Her hair was french braided and she was so cute. 


All ages were out there dancing. There were 3 young men that must have either been close brothers or friends. They were dancing together and having a great time. There was every color of the rainbow from feathers to ribbons. Most everybody had bells on, some only a few but others to numerous to count. Some of the outfits were elaborate and others very simple. One little guy just had a bead breast plate, brown pants and a yellow loin cloth on. He was working so hard to keep his feet straight and doing what he wanted them to do. You could tell that his dance was a work in progress.

Of course this is what our boys liked the best at Western Legends...... The bounce house, the slide and the rock climbing wall. 



At least we got some 'get up and go' to 'get up and go'.....

As usual we had a grand time up north. We just wish it could have been longer. Carl got vacation all week and I couldn't. So, we only went up for the weekend. As usual it was jam packed with things to see and places to be.

Now I'm off to update my quilting and Temple areas, so if you feel the need to see the quilts that were on display and also to see how the Temple is progressing hop on over!
Until next time, 


Happy Quilting, Sharon
 "Quilting the Kaye Wood Way" Certified Instructor since 2009

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon! It appears you all had tons of fun! Me and my hubby are overdue a nice vacation! maybe this winter!

    I am starting a new segment to my blog called Follower In The Spotlight. I am choosing a few of my followers to get the ball rolling and sending personal invites.

    Just wondering if you might be interested in telling our readers a little bit about yourself over on my blog.

    if so, come to my blog and send me an email with the rest of the particulars. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. << That is... I will reply to your email with the rest of the particulars. :)

    ReplyDelete